The churches of South Tipton County have played vital roles in the development of the region, from the earliest settlements through today’s continuing dynamic growth. For well over a century, varied houses of worship have been important landmarks along the roads of the County and its history. Many communities are identified by the name of their oldest church.
The congregation of Antioch Baptist Church traces its roots to 1823. Salem Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church began in 1836. Munford First United Methodist Church was first organized as Mount Zion in 1840, while later it adopted the name of its hometown. St. Mark’s African Methodist Episcopal Church has existed since 1858.
Other venerable communities of faith include Ravenscroft Episcopal Church, Union Grove Missionary Baptist Church, Holly Grove Cumberland Presbyterian Church, Brighton Baptist Church, Crossroads Community Church of the Nazerene, Munford Baptist Church, Munford Church of Christ and River of Life Assembly of God. Many area churches participate in the activities of the South Tipton Ministerial Association, which encourages community improvement and philanthropy and hosts annual community-wide religious services.
Recent construction has fueled growth in church membership and the organization of new churches. Whether attending a country church, home-town church, or a new church just beginning to grow, visitors will be welcomed into the fellowship of friendly, caring people who strive to make a difference in their community. Even the smallest of congregations have big hearts.
A sampling of the many parishes and denominations in the area:
Assemblies of God
Baptist: Independent, Missionary, National, Southern
Churches of Christ
Church of God in Christ
Disciples of Christ
Methodist: AME, CME, Evangelical, United
Pentecostal: United, Independent
Presbyterian: ARP, Cumberland, Evangelical, PCA, USA
Seventh Day Adventist